A Accredited Inspection Service Inc.

1-888-381-6651

Print this page

Carbon Monoxide In Your Home

 

Carbon monoxide testing in your home 

 

Many people are concerned about hidden mold causing health problems and as a result want mold testing. Though such persons are wise to have such testing conducted in most cases, people overlook other possible dangerous indoor air quality problems. Certified home inspectors and certified mold inspectors with a two day certification in mold testing are all too often called out to sample the air for mold spores in such buildings. 

Neither the home owner nor the poorly trained inspector considers the fact that bacteria from a humidifier in the baby’s room, allergens from rats in the attic, volatile organic compounds from construction materials or from cleaning chemicals, or even carbon monoxide may be causing the problems. If diagnosed incorrectly by a guy with a mold testing air pump, a swab, and a two day certification, such conditions can be overlooked and have seriously negative consequences.

One of the most dangerous indoor air quality problems is caused by carbon monoxide. It kills 1500 and injures 10,000 people a year in the US alone. If you answer yes to any of the following then you to might be a victim of carbon monoxide exposure:

Are gas appliances ever in use at the property?

Do any health complaints appear to have a direct correlation to time spent cooking, or heating, or  being in the property while any combustion devices may be in operation? 

Are automobiles warmed up in an attached garage? 

Are AC units or ducts in a garage or basement or other area where combustion devices or automobiles in use? 

Are gas appliances or gas appliance vents in your home weathered or poorly maintained?

WARNING: Carbon monoxide levels at your property may become elevated if any of the above apply to you. Obtain a carbon monoxide detector and have your property tested for carbon monoxide. If levels are deemed high enough by your investigator, then emergency measures such as immediate evacuation may be deemed necessary by your investigator.

Even if slightly elevated, further investigation by a qualified, licensed, specialist is recommended and appropriate repairs or other measures may be needed.  At low concentrations, the health effects are fatigue in healthy people and chest pain in persons with heart disease. At higher concentrations, it causes impaired vision, coordination problems, headaches, dizziness, confusion, and nausea. It can cause flu-like symptoms that clear up after leaving home. Carbon monoxide is fatal at very high concentrations, carbon monoxide testing can save a life.


The leading cause of deaths from carbon monoxide poisoning in homes is automobile exhaust escaping from garages. However, improper combustion of fuel in gas appliances, improper ventilation of combustion gases to the exterior, and cracked heat exchangers are also important sources of carbon monoxide exposure.

Average levels in homes without gas stoves 0.5 to 5 ppm.  
Levels near properly adjusted gas stoves are 5 to 15 ppm.
Near poorly adjusted stoves 30 ppm or higher.

The above information is from our inspection report writing software created by our inspector, and from the EPA website: http://www.epa.gov/iaq/co.html Also visit carbonmonoxidekills.com

For inspections or testing call: 1-888-381-6651